Friday, September 5, 2014

Planned Parenthood

Just reading the title probably got your full attention. 

Before you begin licking your chops in anticipation of either attacking my position or lauding praises upon me, throttle back. I don't want to declare who is right or who is wrong. I don't want a heated debate (unless it occurs solely within the confines of your own noggin).  I don't want to have an argument over which Bible verses condemn abortion.  I don't want to hear about a woman's right to do what she pleases with her body. I don't want to try and determine when life starts. Instead, I merely want to ask you, "what if?" and give you a multiple choice test (don't worry it will be a short one).

I've contemplated  about this post for a long while. I have often thought about what to say, whether to quote Bible verses, which political stance to take, or whether I should just leave my big trap shut.  However, I feel the time has come to share some thoughts. Just some. 

First, have you seen any of those "ice bucket" challenges for ALS awareness? I know, silly question right? They are all over the Interweb and the news.  While those viral types of promotions are good, (and I even did it myself) if all they do is raise awareness, what really has been accomplished? Not much. Sure, everyone is now more aware of ALS, but what has been done to really help the cause. The point is, there has to be donations or other tangible acts of support for real change to take effect.

I see a similarity to that ALS challenge and the abortion and Planned Parenthood debate. I hear many passionate people talking and writing about how wrong it is or how right it is.  The line seems to be drawn equally across society, just like every other major issue in this country (guns, immigration, gay marriage, take your pick).  "Spreading the word," they say.  "Letting people know what the Bible says," they say. "Protecting women's rights," they say. 

Awareness. That's all we are really doing. Trying to raise awareness.  Both sides are equally guilty.  But is awareness what Jesus wants?

I'll ask you to look up this entire verse, Luke 10:25-37. It is the Good Samaritan parable that also contains the Love Commandment (that's what I call it). 

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself."

[SIDEBAR: In Matthew 22, Jesus refers to this as the first and great commandment.  It is also in Mark and Deuteronomy.  There are several in John that are similar.  1 John has many verses around Love. Paul said "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."  (Do you see the pattern?)]

But please don't assume you know the story, go read it. In the parable Jesus leads the lawyer to answer his own question regarding what makes a 'neighbor'?  The lawyer confesses that it is the one who actually helped the person who had been mugged. Regardless of religious affiliation, ethnicity, nationality, or even political beliefs. Jesus commanded us to love our neighbor. So again, I ask, is that what Jesus wants?  Awareness? 

Can you imagine if the Samaritan said, "Oh look innkeeper!  Are you aware that this poor man has been beaten and lie dying in the street?"

On your own judgement day, what will you say?  "Jesus, I tried to tell them that they were disobeying God.  They just didn't listen."  

What if he asks you, "But what did you actually do?"

You'll reply, "I tried to save the unborn children."

He may answer, "And what did you do to save my child who stood directly before you?" 

(Note that the word "save" in the previous two sentences has a different meaning in each.)

What if each side, instead of voicing their opinions and claiming the other to be wrong, did something out of pure love for the other?

What if, instead of  a person protesting Planned Parenthood by waving signs and shouting so that they could so desperately try to convince others they are wrong, that person instead volunteered to pay the hospital bills and take in the newborn baby as their own?

What if Planned Parenthood was flooded by Christian families and churches that were willing to take on the costs and responsibilities of raising the child.  Every child. 

What if the Christian community started their own organization called "Unplanned Parenthood"?  And the goal was to offer services that help these women, provided healthcare and support, and ensured that the mother felt the love of Christ. It could make sure, beyond a doubt, that the mother would have every opportunity afforded her to make a sound choice. 

There are some people and groups who try to do just that. And I wish I was more like them.  But Jesus didn't say some should. He said everyone should. He said to love your neighbor. He told the lawyer that was the path to eternal life (along with loving God). He didn't tell the lawyer the path to eternal life was making others obey His commands. I know we are to spread the Gospel and make disciples, but are we accomplishing that by banging people over the head?  Are we supposed to force our beliefs on others?  I've heard hundreds of people say "I led someone to Christ". I've never heard anyone say "I forced someone to Christ"

I modified this tweet from a friend of mine (which does not mean he endorses this blog - but I thought it fit), "Our goal is not to prove the world wrong or to prove ourselves right, but to love others and make Jesus famous. Not infamous."

A prominent DFW Baptist Pastor said, "We can not fight secular battles with Biblical principles."

Both are absolutely right. I can not take the Texas Drivers Handbook to London and prove to them they drive on the wrong side of the road. It doesn't work. And Jesus didn't tell us to do that. He told us to Love our neighbor first. Are we doing that? How many people look at the Christian side of the debate and say, "they are so chocked full of love."



Now before you start on me, I am a realist. Will we all love like that? Probably not. If we all did love like that, would it solve all the problems? No it wouldn't. But remember, Jesus didn't say to solve all the problems. He told us each to love one another.

So I promised you some "what if?" questions.  Check. 
And I promised you a multiple choice test.  Here's your test.

When faced on judgement day, and asked, "What did you do?" Will your answer be;

a) I raised awareness 
     or 
b) I took action out of love

Check.

Till next week folks! Feel free to comment, but do so out of love!


No comments:

Post a Comment