Friday, February 18, 2011

It’s all about you, isn’t it?

Well, actually it is. Now that may seem contradictory to what you may have been told in the past. But it is true. The universe does revolve around you. You are the most important person in the world. You are the reason the sun rises morning.

Now before you begin to think I’m off my rocker, this is not from my perspective or from anyone else’s as far as that goes. And it shouldn’t be your own opinion either. So who does have that view about you?

God does.

Here is the hard part to wrap our heads around. He has that feeling about each and every one of us individually and equally. He doesn’t feel any more love for me than He feels for you. That also means He doesn’t love me any less than He loves you. And that is a great feeling to know that He loves me (and you) unconditionally. It is not something we can earn. We don’t get it just because we have done something great. We don’t get it just because we have passed some test. He gives us His unconditional love because that is who He is. “God is love.” (1 Jn 4:8)

And another thing to know which is just as important, we can do nothing (nada, neinte, nichts) to change the way or the amount He loves us. You can’t screw it up!! Believe me, I’ve tried!

He loved you before you were ever even born, knowing exactly who you would be. “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Rm 5:8).

And one final proof of His love; He gave His Son on the cross for you.

--- I wrote the above on Thursday, but didn’t publish yet because I didn't feel quite happy with the ending, and then this happened on Friday…

… Our water heater sprung a leak late Thursday night. Friday morning I head off to Lowes to buy a new one and I’m bored with ESPN radio talk about stalled NFL negotiations. I switch over to NPR and all they are talking about is unrest in Egypt (also a story I’ve had my fill of). I finally switch over to “The Word FM” and guess what the topic of Dr. Stanley’s message is… God’s unconditional love for you. I think to myself, now that’s timing. Then as I pass a small church down the road, on the marquee is this quote from the Bible, “God is love.” Then around 10:30 Friday night, one of my tweeter friends tweets about a sign in my own town that I hadn’t noticed, and it reads “Love never fails”.

--- Now that’s the way to end this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment